A Virtual Demo day was held by the #COVID19InnovationChallenge by Ventures Platform. MTN later partnered with NCDC (Nigeria Centre for Disease Control) and LASRIC (Lagos State Science and Research Innovation Council) to support the leading seven innovators who are working on their platforms and solutions that aim to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Each of the seven startups got a $3000 equity-free grant from ventures platform and other partners namely – blue-chip technologies, sterling bank, Loftyinc Allied Partners Ltd, Silverchip Fox Consulting, ACIOE, Lakunle Runsewe, Manasseh Egedegbe, and Venture Garden Group, NESG.
The NCDC has teamed up with the following startups:
- GLOEPID with Prunedge integrates bots and app technology into NCDC.
- COVID Triage with Wellvis Health that integrates their interface into NCDC systems.
- Infodemics with Infodemics which is a risk communication platform.
MTN will assist the startups to scale the solutions that will have a maximum positive impact during the pandemic. The main innovations targeted by the Giant Telecommunication company are:
- COVID Triage’s Wellvis Health USSD tool to reach the masses who need access to services and information most. Their strategy is to push this service to those without internet connectivity or access.
- GLOEPID’s Prunedge which is an app service.
- iQube Labs’ MyServiceAgent that incorporates AI into a toll-free line service capable of handling thousands of calls at a go.
MTN is now working on a pitch-a-thon to be held on April 24. Teams will pitch their ideas as they recruit volunteers to help them with their ideas. The support crews will be vetted to meet the required expertise.
Kola Aina, founder of Ventures Platform expressed his anticipation to attend the first virtual Demo in his career. He also lauded the energy exhibited by the 7 participating teams as “Incredible.”