TechInAfrica – ENGIE Africa Challenge 2019 is now opened for applications. As the initiator of the challenge, ENGIE is ambitious to become the world leader in serving zero-carbon of energy, gas, and services. The main goal of the challenge is to address a key challenge facing rural and urban communities: the lack of affordable, safe, and sustainable resources to cook food.
The ENGIE Africa Challenge 2019 is seeking African tech startups with an energy solution for clean cooking. The selected startups will get support from ENGIE.
What is clean cooking as an energy solution? Here are what are considered as the clean cooking of the energy solution:
- Electric and or LPG
- Suitable for the off-grid market and applicable to the urban and suburban market
- Safe and easy to use
- Environmentally friendly
- Utilizes IoT, business intelligence, software/app that helps in data capturing and data analysis
- Hardware solution
- Integrated payment (if needed)
- Reasonable production costs & affordable prices
Those interested in participating in the challenge must meet these requirements:
- Startups incorporated and operating from any African country
- Solution or service must be innovative
- Less than 5 years of existence
- Early-stage/seed-stage company
- A minimal viable product as the proof of solution functionality
20 startups will be shortlisted as finalists. Only three of them will be selected to demonstrate their projects at AfricArena Summit 2019 while ENGIE will choose 1 winner. The first winning startup will have the opportunity to showcase at the VIVA Technology in Paris next year and receive €10,000 to finance the project (depending on the maturity of the solution).
To take part in the challenge, you can click here.