The Space-Tech Earth Observation Innovation Challenge was launched in September 2020 and convened by the South African National Space Agency (SANSA) alongside ZA Space who partnered with Maxar, RIIS, SA Innovation Summit, FNB, and Anza Capital. The drive aimed at developing early-stage tech startups that use downstream applications of Africa’s space technology in insurance, agriculture, sustainability, retail, and conservation industries.
The space technology industry is among the fastest-growing global markets representing a $7 billion opportunity. Surprisingly, only 0.5% of all space technology is carried out by African companies. The space technology sector plays a key role in the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals by offering cost-effective and up-to-date data and insights.
Here are the winners of the challenge
- Hydro Blu by Joash Kisten (South Africa)
- Smart AgrIoT by Jabu Madlala (South Africa)
- HeHe by Crepin Kayisire (Rwanda), FieldDev Group Nigeria by Nduka Okpue (Nigeria)
Benefits of participation
- A 2-week Business development training conducted virtually that helps businesses prepare adequately for the grand finale.
- Prizes: 4-month incubation and virtual mentorship including access to peer-to-peer networks via TechTribe Accelerator.
- SecureWatch Premium worth 5GB for the first placed winner and valid for 3 months to a tune of $12,500.
- Second and third place get SecureWatch Premium worth 2GB, valid for 3 months worth $5,000.
You can find out more about the Space-Tech Innovation here
Source article: Bizcommunity