TechInAfrica – The South African winners of the 2019 Southern Africa Startup Awards or SASAward have been announced. The awards are part of the annual Global Startup Awards, in which direct the goal of highlighting all the global tech startups with heaps of potentials. On Wednesday, 18th of September, SASAwards said in a statement that 19 winners from 19 categories were selected out of 73 finalists through public voting and an adjudication process.
The announcement came on Thursday last week, 12th September in an event held in SA Innovation Summit, Cape Town.
Here is the list of the 19 winners:
- Fintech of the Year: Mama Money
- Female Role Model of the Year in Tech: Useful and Beautiful co-founder and director Lynette Hundermark
- Best Startup Ecosystem Initiative: GrowthWheel SA
- Brave Founder of the Year: Intuitive WebCEO Akintunde Rotimi
- Best Co-working Space of the Year: Workshop 17
- Best Fashion Tech: Zabantu
- Investor of the Year: Kalon Venture Partners
- Best Water Crises Management Solution: Lige
- Best Student Tech: Quillo
- Best Social Impact: Ctrl
- Best Edutech Startup: Why Toyz
- Founder of the Year: Pargofounders Lars Veul and Derk Hoekert
- Best Healthtech Startup: The Birthing Team
- Startup of the Year: Lula
- Best Newcomer: MomSays
- Best Food or Agritech Startup: Revolute Systems
- Best Media Partner: The Loudhailer
- Best Accelerator or Incubator: Startupbootcamp AfriTech
- People’s Choice of the Year: No Land Farming
The 19 winners will now move next to the regional grand finale where the 6 regional winners will be selected to compete at the Global Startup Awards, which will last from 27 to 28 of November 2019 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
According to the official website, the awards are carried out in 3 rounds per region, with the first step to be national nomination, shorlisting of nominees, the public vote followed by judging process with the panelists to select national winners for each category from each participating country. The selected national winners will then continue to Grand Finale for the regional winner competition. At last, the regional winners will compete on a global level at the Global Startup Awards.